UPSC GK Capsule: From Rameshwaram Cafe Explosion to 'Gaganyaan', List of Major Events to Look Back At
UPSC GK Capsule: From Rameshwaram Cafe Explosion to 'Gaganyaan', List of Major Events to Look Back At
From the Rameshwaram Café explosion to Paytm Payments Bank penalty, here’s a recap of the most important news stories of last week

Many recruitment examinations, like UPSC, SBI Bank PO, or others, demand a well-rounded knowledge of general awareness or current affairs to assess candidates’ knowledge of global events, government policies, social issues, and scientific advancements. So, to keep yourself updated for the upcoming recruitment exam, we have got you covered. From the Rameshwaram Café explosion to the Paytm Payments Bank penalty, here’s a recap of the most important news stories of last week:

Explosion At Rameshwaram Cafe In Bengaluru

At least nine people have been injured after an explosion at a Bengaluru eatery. The incident took place at the popular Rameshwaram Cafe in the Whitefield area between 1:30 and 2:00 pm. As per sources, the explosion, caused by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), was intended to create panic. Also, it has been learned that the Rameshwaram cafe had earlier received threat messages. “The agencies are mainly looking at two angles, including terror and business rivalry. Signals were picked last week that rivals may try to tarnish their image,” sources reported, quoting officials probing the matter.

Paytm Payments Bank Fined Rs 5.49 Crore

The Finance Ministry stated on March 1 that the Financial Intelligence Unit-India (FIU-IND) has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 5.49 crore on Paytm Payments Bank for non-compliance with anti-money laundering regulations. The FIU-India initiated a review of the bank after receiving specific information from law enforcement agencies regarding certain entities and their network of businesses engaged in several illegal activities. The Ministry further said that the funds generated from these unlawful operations were routed and channelled through bank accounts maintained by these entities with the Paytm Payments Bank.

ISRO Announces Astronauts For India’s Crewed Space Mission ‘Gaganyaan’

Nearly five years following the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) declaration of its human Space Flight initiative, Gaganyaan, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently disclosed the names of astronauts selected for the country’s maiden groundbreaking three-day space voyage. The astronauts set for training at Bengaluru’s Astronaut Training Facility include Group Captain Prashanth Nair, Group Captains Ajit Krishnan and Angad Prathap, and Wing Commander Shubhanshu Shukla.

Bill Gates Meets PM Narendra Modi

Microsoft Co-Founder Bill Gates, who is on a visit to India, met PM Narendra Modi in New Delhi. They held a dialogue centred around connecting the power of artificial intelligence (AI) for public good, women-led development, and innovation in health, climate adaptation, and agriculture. The leaders also expressed their shared commitment to sectors that hold the potential to make the planet better and empower millions of people worldwide. Prior to that, the philanthropist met EAM S. Jaishankar and also exchanged books on February 29.

Reliance Industries, Walt Disney Announces Rs 70,000 Crore Deal

Reliance Industries and Walt Disney declared a merger of their India media operations, producing a Rs 70,000 crore entertainment giant. Under the Reliance-Disney deal, Reliance and its affiliates will hold 63.16 percent of the combined entity that will house 120 television channels and two streaming services. While Disney will hold the remaining 36.84 percent. Reliance Industries has also agreed to invest Rs 11,500 crore in the joint venture to provide strength to fight rivals such as Sony and Netflix.

What's your reaction?


0 comment

Write the first comment for this!